New York Hustle

November 2019

On occasion I get the opportunity to fill a free day in a weekend where I'm away for work, but not working.  This one landed me in New York with a free ticket to Ripley's Believe it or not and a booked AirBnb experience to learn hand weaving in Brooklyn.  Watch out world, it's rainy and I have a rain jacket.

We spent a majority of Saturday working, but I had my free ticket burning a hole in my pocket all day.  My peep dropped me in the middle of Times Square chaos and off I went to see Ripley's Believe it or Not.  It was definitely a tourist attraction, but I found it absolutely charming.  The experience was reminiscent of books of fun facts that I devoured as a child.  The visuals that went with them were very informative as well.   I'd recommend it if you have a free ticket or younger children that love to read.

Exhibit on the ordination of skulls.

Exhibit on medieval torture.  There was a hint of S&M vibe...


Shrunken head exhibit.  Apparently Mr. Ripley was really into this. If you want to know how this goes down, I watched the entire instructional video.  I have all the detail.s 

Mixed feelings...

Massive mural made of stamps.  Those crazy Canadians.  

The rest of the night became a prolonged wander through Times Square in the rain.  Street performers, people being people and all the lights made for a great walk.







After wading through anti-vaccination protester traffic outside my hotel, I made my way to the subway for my Brooklyn weaving class!  Super excited to find a single subway line to take me to my neighborhood and super excited for art.  It was a great experience and highly recommended. The best part was connecting with other creatives and seeing how the exact same instruction could lead to completely different outcomes.






Nailed it!

After class, I wandered the neighborhood a bit and then met up with Madame Morbid's Trolley tours.  It was a great choice and one I would recommend for a warm way to get a significant dip into Brooklyn history and a history of disasters.  The restored trolley was absolutely stunning, Celine our guide was hilarious and theatrical and the information was intriguing.  Add the smoke machine every 20 minutes and it was just the best thing going.



Real taxidermy folks.


I won a prize for traveling the farthest.  I also had to tell the scariest thing about my state.  Contact me directly for the answer.  Hats make nice candy storage baskets on tours.

The ambiance!

A Superfund site that marauds as a canal. 

Seriously, the ambiance!  The smoke machine startled me every single time.

Music breaks.  No dancing since we were on a moving vehicle, but I danced on the inside.

Two Boots Pizza - Recommended by the tour operator. Very nice.  

So, I have a phobia about red lit rooms.  Not going to explain it here, but this was the only bathroom in Brooklyn and after a ghost tour, I was extra creeped out.  Quite possibly the most panicked and fast bathroom break ever. 

After escaping the red room, I made my way back to Manhattan and wandered a bit more.  Christmas is always lovely in the city with tourists, chilly weather and beautifully decorated store windows.  

Farewell to this fine city until next time....Get Outside - Go Adventure.

Trippy store fronts.


Central Park at rest (or is it?)


Being a mosaic artist, I now see it everywhere.  The dark and sometimes a bit rough subway tunnels are full of subtle use of mosaic tile for decoration and information.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okie Travelers - Food, Fun and Fish

Buffalo River Journey - Two Fierce Women and a Dog

Glory Hole Hike - Yelling at Frogs and Other Adventures