6th Annual Solo Float - Year in Review

It seems that 2018 was a doozy for a lot of us.  I'm certainly thrilled to be leaping into 2019.  Although my year kicked off a little different with a family trip to Puerto Rico (highly recommended), it was still imperative to get in the annual solo float!  The river blessed me with lots of Kingfishers, 1 Blue Heron, 1 juvenile eagle, 1 adult eagle, 1 turtle and 2 otters!  The otters seem like a good omen for the year and they certainly made me laugh.  I was coming around the corner from Spring Creek and saw a little head suck under the water.  Thinking this was the end of my otter encounter, I got distracted by the eagles.  Then there were two!  This was enough to make me thankful for the skills to eddy out behind a tiny bush to wait and watch.  As I watched one otter roil and roll like a fat serpent in the water, I sudden became aware of the same head poking out from my starboard side.  About 20 feet out, an otter in the stream was giving me his full attention and chuffing at me with great enthusiasm as the current carried him along.  I twisted as far as I could before he dropped out of site.  Spending another 10 minutes frozen in rapture and waiting for the serpent like body to surface and flip back under I decided the cold was enough motivation to head on downriver.  Apparently, my bright yellow dry suit continued to intrigue the second otter.  When I got pointed downstream, there was the head again!  The otter made one last chuff in my general direction and ducked under for the last time.  This is the most interaction I've ever had with otters, but it was exceptional. 

The rest of the float was general contemplation and trying to figure out what was to be learned from a year with a complete 180 in so many respects.  Here is what I came up with:

  • It's ok to ask for help.  When you don't know how to do something or how to start something, find someone that does.  
  • Loss of a patriarch can be brutal.  Honor that memory and press on.  Take good care of what you have left.
  • Don't know where to start?  Just start.  Get in motion, be cautious, be curious, make good decisions, but start. 
  • Try something new!  Fly to another state and take an intensive art class.  Make new friends. Find a journey that challenges you and do it!
  • Be bold in love and who you are.  It's not worth it to conform to an imperfect world with expectations driven by those that are somewhat unhappy as it stands.  Do your thang and be happy. 
  • Don't rush it.  What is it?  All of it.  Be present where you are and do well as you go.  
Soapbox over.  

Here's some photos from the day o' solitude.  It is so great to have the whole river to yourself!

South Maumee - The river was rolling beautifully!


Winter fungus win!

Views down the river.

Dry suit - safety isn't always as sexy as I'd like...


Eagle taking flight!

Look how clear the water is!

There was so much water my favorite tree was underwater (and yes, I have a favorite tree).

The Jeep had her first trip to the river and performed beautifully. Hurray!

GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okie Travelers - Food, Fun and Fish

Buffalo River Journey - Two Fierce Women and a Dog

Glory Hole Hike - Yelling at Frogs and Other Adventures