Western PA Ramblings - Hold the Phone for Spontaneity
I've detailed my big art adventure, but now it's time to address the wonderful bookends that surrounded it. I flew in to Pittsburgh and rented a car. This doesn't sound revolutionary, but all of my preliminary planning involved renting a bike, taking the train to mosaic school and on and on. The remains of Hurricane Gordon would have made this a total disaster. Thank goodness for some maturity and willingness to not be so fiscally conservative that you are riding a bike in the remains of a hurricane....
First stop, Ohiopyle State Park. This gem features a massive waterfall across the river, several smaller waterfalls and trails for days. I'd seen it on my Great Allegheny Passage bike ride, but didn't have time or inclination for full exploration. I arrived to see clouds gathering and then the rain dumped with a ferocity that made me question my hard set determination to hike. I rolled up my pants, donned a rain jacket and cap and was off. I've been wet before and it wasn't terribly cold. I was blessed with views for days. Flowers holding onto rain drops, rivers turned corners in swirls of mist, waterfall spray that licked at your eyelashes. Best of all was the plethora of mushrooms. Every shape, size, color and texture availed itself. Adventurer heaven.
First stop, Ohiopyle State Park. This gem features a massive waterfall across the river, several smaller waterfalls and trails for days. I'd seen it on my Great Allegheny Passage bike ride, but didn't have time or inclination for full exploration. I arrived to see clouds gathering and then the rain dumped with a ferocity that made me question my hard set determination to hike. I rolled up my pants, donned a rain jacket and cap and was off. I've been wet before and it wasn't terribly cold. I was blessed with views for days. Flowers holding onto rain drops, rivers turned corners in swirls of mist, waterfall spray that licked at your eyelashes. Best of all was the plethora of mushrooms. Every shape, size, color and texture availed itself. Adventurer heaven.
This mushroom trail side had somehow managed to survive hikers, rain, mud and chaos to grow 8+ inches tall.
Embedded imprints from giant palm fronds - into the rock!
I found myself wet but happy. I proceeded onto Fern Island, but was hesitant due to the close quarters required with poison ivy. This is only entertaining because I was in the midst of an outbreak at the time that would escalate to medical care in the course of my trip. Every hero has kryptonite right? Seriously, it is 3 weeks later as I write this and I'm fighting round 2 from another adventure. maybe I need to live in Tyvek when I'm in the woods...
Anyway, after a long and happy hike I retreated to my Happy Days Hide Away accommodation. I have to admit the clutter and visual stimulus wasn't to my taste, but it was charming, tiny and had loads of privacy.
After a glorious 4 days of mosaics, friends and fun I bought tickets to see Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwaters house. Coincidentally, Sheri from mosaic fame had tickets with an artist friend of hers. We decided to connect and see what shenanigans might develop. I'm going to insert a confession here. I love plans, routes, tickets being purchased, knowing what adventure infrastructure I'm operating under. I don't make changes as a habit once I'm set. The best artist peer pressure got me on that Tuesday. Planning on a tour and a drive back to the airport, Sheri suggested I join them in nearby Confluence to help Rachel Sager with a public art installation. My brain went to all reasons I couldn't do this and I couldn't validate any of them. My darling partner communicated disappointment, but full throttle support to seize the adventure, I already had the day off and it turned out the plane ticket change and car rental extension would come at zero cost. I had no excuse except my own rigid rules. So there it was. I changed my tickets, extended my car rental and committed to staying at a complete stranger's home for the evening with my new dear friend. It was liberating. I know I adventure all the time, but just allowing myself to be free with my time was almost spiritual.
So we traveled to Confluence and found 8 super neat kids installing a river mosaic on the side of the local bike shop. Rachel was at the helm and thinset was all over the place. We stepped out for a coffee run and a step around the square. I hadn't been here since my bike ride and really enjoyed seeing it from the comfort of a car. We helped the kiddos with more materials, thinset, clean tools and approving smiles. We weren't needed, but it was still nice to contribute. Rachel set the three adult artists to turning the mosaic around the corner. Trying not to get pinned into strict application, it took us a lot of time to cover our two feet, but we nailed it.
This is why I love Sheri. This just happens, all the time.
Not our best work, but charming and in alignment with our counterpart's work.
Sensing it was time to jet out to the next adventure, we were introduced to a "local treasure." We were given fresh banana bread and everyone insisted we walk home with her and get a tour of her home. We followed Paula and her little dog down the street. The crazy artist vibe was crushing me, but hey, I was being spontaneous so what the heck. We arrived at a two story converted warehouse covered in vines. She brought us into a dark, cluttered space and promptly pointed out the glass described as "Frog in a Blender." It was indeed a good representation with various shades of green sharing striking contrast to vibrant and violent reds. This raised my awareness a bit, but by the time we made it up the stairs my spidey senses were in full operation. We were toured through room after room of intriguing, but not cheerful art. I happened to stop and look down into a glass topped box. My brain was trying to process the pile of dead mice, bugs and mystery when Paula called out, "Don't open that. It might smell! I collect all the dead things I find in the house and put them in there!" It hadn't occurred to me to open the box, but I certainly wasn't going to do it now. I cast a WTF glance at Sheri and decided we were either going to be kidnapped and held in some version of Misery or that the crazy train had just dropped Paula off in Confluence and we were getting a free ride. Overall, it was all harmless, including her insistence that we take a clipping from her horrible cursed plant. She just didn't sell it well. Who wants a cursed plant with bad voodoo?! We all mumbled excuses ranging from airline restrictions, to RV size to having no green thumb. After we peeled ourselves away the walk back to the square was full of wonderment at the magic we had just experienced. We got a glimpse into a world that we could have never imagined. It was like a fun house of art and the macabre. Deciding wine would restore all right, we headed back to Aileen's home at Ohiopyle. We stopped for some waterfall therapy and then on to an amazing above garage apartment that would be our digs. Best couch surfing experience ever!
Feeling the need to explore a bit more, because we weren't totally exhausted....we headed to Nemacolin Resort. This adventure started with awe at the spectacular grounds. We thought we heard the sirens calling for the volunteer fire department only to discover a wolf delivering a mournful howl. He climbed on his rock and just howled over and over. It was sorrowful and nipped deep at my soul. We walked around to the lions, tigers and unseen bears. The lions roared and then flopped back to the grass with little ceremony. The tiger looked glorious and the wolf just kept howling. We moved around to the buffalo exhibit to see a huge ginger colored beast. Thinking this might be the white buffalo on the sign, we were surprised to see a creamy counterpart saunter up. It was all lovely.
Best moving sculpture. The fabulous thing is the next one we tried didn't move, but did dump water on Sheri. Sculptures - 1, Artists - 0
We journeyed a bit more and decided it was time to retreat to the retreat. Aileen headed for bed and Sheri and I scrounged in the kitchen. For foragers, we came up with a beautiful collection of chicken, hummus, spinach and chips. Settling into watch a little Skinwars (body painting show) and have a drink, it felt like a very normal and civilized night. It was strangely, wonderfully, common.
I rose early to go seek the waterfalls that had been encouraged by the deluge of Hurricane Gordon's path. Having seen them the week before at normal flow, I knew it would be worth the early rise. I bade goodbye to Sheri and her epic curls still nestled down in covers and drove on to Cucumber Falls. The contrast from 6 days ago was stunning!
The main falls at Ohiopyle did not disappoint either and I couldn't fathom why everyone else was not up looking at waterfalls. The power of water will never cease to completely captivate me and make my soul shiver.
I finally peeled myself away from the power and began the journey back to the airport. Turning on Spotify to guide the journey, I pondered this 24 hours of spontaneity. It's a small step in the right direction. Not being guided by obligation, perceptions of what I need to be doing or made up rules. Simply letting the wind blow and following the current that caught my heart strings.





























Comments
Post a Comment