Mosaics Adventure - My Weekend at the Ruins
Most of my vacations are arduous, outdoor sports related endeavors. This is my first time to have an art centered adventure. And frankly, I'm loving it. Last year, about the same time, I rode the Great Allegheny Passage bike trail from Cumberland, Maryland to Pittsburgh. Along the way, what I thought was just a interesting water stop, turned out to be a mosaic studio. I absolutely adored the artist and her sister and sincerely hoped I would be able to come back to take one of the classes offered. After I left, I did some research and realized that I stumbled across something much bigger. Rachel Sager is the heart and soul of the Ruins Project. The last 4 days I have been fortunate to not only study her technique and methodology, but also contribute to something much greater than myself. To learn more about the Ruins, please visit: The Ruins Project.
Foraging Rewards!
More importantly, I got to meet an amazing artist from California named Sheri, got to know a lot more about who Rachel Sager is, and be immersed in a genuinely positive environment full of open-hearted exchange and commitment to fun and art. There were no grand bike rides, mountains to climb or caves to strain through, but the last 4 days took an immense amount of heart and soul and I came out a better person and artist for it.
Sheri the Amazing - Soon to be Featured on "So You Think You Can Dance"
Erica - Scavenger Extraordinaire
The Epic Rachel Sager and Alpha Ruins Goddess
First day was full of Hands-On instruction: techniques, tools, and materials. This is all done in a little cabin along the bike trail. We worked on the front porch for hours hammering pieces of stone into workable material. The best part is that we collected the rocks from the adjacent river. We made some less than glorious art during the learning process. I believe this will eventually end up on what Rachel calls the "hot mess wall." With brains overwhelmed with knowledge, we treated ourselves to Sonny's Bar and Grill in Belle Vernon. We ate way more food than is reasonable for two fairly fit artists, pondered the next three days, and what in the world we would contribute to the ruins. The next day we were both off and running from the start.
The ruins have a lot of wall space to add to, but we had a few variables that dictated our work space. On some level, we didn't want to work far from each other. Sheri has epic positive energy and makes me laugh. Also, the remnants of hurricane Gordon threatened to cause an obscene amount of rain for the next 3 days. By the time day 4 concluded, you could hear the creek rushing, the river roaring, the rain pattering on the concrete and kittens mewing in distress at the continuing deluge.
Sheri bringing the fox to life.
With that, Sheri was in the Alchemy room and I was in the Cave. We had a little peek-through where we could chat, laugh, and with some exasperation at times, laugh at kittens as they threatened to tip over entire trays full of materials.
We cleaned the concrete to prepare it for our work and Rachel encouraged us put up our first tiles. I am certain that this kept us from over pondering the whole process. Our new friend Erica was ready to help and Rachel's fella Robert was at the ready with makeshift tables, bar tending when needed, and entertaining commentary. Interspersed in all of this was a beautiful little dog named Lucy who could burrow under walls, into hillsides and straight into your heart. I've never met a Mountain Cur, but know that I will be very fortunate to ever share the company of one again. I can only hope that she spends the rest of her days finding sticks bigger than she is and harassing kittens.
Luc Puppy in a brief moment of rest!
And so we began. Pieces of stone, glass, found hardware and even a beer bottle cap slowly went up on the wall. Rachel provided support and suggestion, but let us lead. We took turns looking at each other's work, tilting heads and pondering. There were moments to walk away and return with fresh eyes and a belly full of lunch. All the lunches were made with love by Rachel's family and we even had the opportunity to visit with her aunts. As the days went on, the rain got harder and more insistent. Our hands got a little colder and our rain jackets seemed to not dry as fast. The best part is that our compulsion to create and contribute wasn't dampened. We forged on often losing hours and hours in the Ruins fostering our creations along. The river kept rising and our spirits rose with it. The social dynamic with Sheri and Rachel was absolutely creative heaven. I have a few favorite moments.
- Rocking out to Mambo Number 5 in the ruins with occasional dance accompaniment by Sheri.
- Taking a surprise class in micro mosaics with Rachel on a particularly rainy afternoon where we retreated to the studio to create on mesh and transfer it to the ruins.
- Three women at a workbench, surrounded by material, with rain filled windows ahead of us, and kittens sleeping and roaming about. This is pretty much artist heaven.
- Unexpected dance party and happy hour in the studio sponsored by Macklemore. Sheri can seriously dance!
- Eating a ridiculously large breakfast at Randall's before a particularly long and rainy work day.
- Visiting the ruins at night to show the neighbors our work in to see if the coal miner visage was still visible on the walls.
These are just a few amazing moments, but the days were absolutely speckled with them. I smiled so much my jaw hurt and learned more new vocabulary than my brain could almost contain. I made two amazing new friends and a few wonderful acquaintances. I am looking forward to getting home and letting my artistic inclinations run loose. At the same time, my heart is very challenged to depart the studio. In the span of four days, a class began to feel more like family and art had begun to fill a lot more like reality. I am very thankful for Rachel and her willingness to share her intuitive andamento with us. I'm definitely not the same person I was when I arrived 4 days ago. I wouldn't change anything for the world.
Oh Lord this kitten stole my heart.
The Otter Installation:
Our little bat mosaic family.
Found objects made into art.
Sheri making fox things happen!
And some general studio envy shots from those rainy days we escaped indoors:
Mouse for the excellent Molly Sager
This might as well been a pan of gold.
Project for home - Buffalo River Flow
I guess I'm really learning that having an open heart is equally, if not more critical, than having an open mind. I'm so fortunate to be meeting people that possess both blessings.
Go outside! Go make art!





























Yes! Yes! All these things. It is a truly magical serendipity-full place full of gravitational force. Huzzah. Well described. I am so glad you found your way to this tribe :)
ReplyDeleteThank you! This tribe is epic.
Delete