Shenzhen - Observations in Lieu of Traditional Adventures
2018 January 22
This is the first time I have ever had a sustained sickness overseas. This blog won't be a whine, but it was really intriguing to be crazy ill so far away from home. You really have to buck up mentally and fight through it because no one else is there to do it. Sure you have colleagues and friends around, but no one wants to look like they've been hit by a truck around friends or even worse, get them sick! As of writing this, I'm back to nearly full power. I'd like to share some intriguing things that happened on this work adventure and a few of the sights I got to see between recovery and work. Life is good, even in the chaos. Don't ever let it keep you down!
This is the first time I have ever had a sustained sickness overseas. This blog won't be a whine, but it was really intriguing to be crazy ill so far away from home. You really have to buck up mentally and fight through it because no one else is there to do it. Sure you have colleagues and friends around, but no one wants to look like they've been hit by a truck around friends or even worse, get them sick! As of writing this, I'm back to nearly full power. I'd like to share some intriguing things that happened on this work adventure and a few of the sights I got to see between recovery and work. Life is good, even in the chaos. Don't ever let it keep you down!
The trip started with giant mosaics at DFW Terminal D. These new installations are amazing and worth seeing.
Found the cake of my dreams. This raccoon with mushrooms sitting on a log, well, what could be better?
These little shrimps were delivered to the table one night...we decided it looked like he was in a little towel right out of the shrimp shower. And it just kept starting at us with that little eyeball.
A lot of the buildings have a pretty spacey look to them here.
Ridiculously large crabs at the grocery store. No human hand for scale because I'm afraid of crabs.
Not sure what these are, but they just look so gross...
One of my work peeps and I scoping out the local fun factor. These cars had some kind of self-righting gyroscope thing going on. We should have driven one. Responsibility and maturity are overrated.
Chinese New Year is coming soon. The decorations are wonderfully red and prolific.
This is a drone store. Or an evil super villain fortress.
This is our friend, "Cat on a String." So many questions about why there would be a cat on a string.
All that glitters in Shenzhen.
This next section just makes me laugh. These are things the hotel staff does to change our behavior or adjust to our routines.
This is the "I see you are considering taking death up on an offer with your USA flu. Here is a blanket on the couch for you to die on." Seriously, this blanket and I hung out big time for a few days.
I have left my shoes all over the house my whole life. Housekeeping couldn't handle it. Please leave your shoes on this tiny towel. The weird part is that I kind of liked leaving my shoes on the little towel...
They put a bottle of water on the bedside everyday. I think they were trying to help me out or they just do this all the time. Hydration is sexy!
There was a day I just desperately wanted some pancakes and bacon. It was the first, and only day, they had pancakes. I ate the heck out of pancakes and a little waffle on principal. The universe totally hooks you up on some days.
On the last day before full work days kicked off, I decided I could no longer continue healing with fresh fruit, the aforementioned blanket and the Discovery Channel (God help me Netflix didn't work overseas the one time I had the flu as an adult...). I decided to go to the park to read in the sun. This seemed like a healthy part of a recovery plan. The Shenzhen parks are above and beyond exceptional. There are pedestrian "roads" through the park, but dozens upon dozens of little trails that zip off into who knows what. This environment fosters such a childlike exploring part of my brain that I can hardly stand myself. I rarely find myself in the same place twice and am always surprised when I make it back out again. So this trip was 10 minutes of walking, 20 minutes of sitting and on I went. The next day I woke up feeling human again. Park for the win.
Yes, that is a giant peacock made of flowers.
These 50 - 60 year old women were dancing in leather skirts with chain belts. I support this!
One of the paths to who knows where. Only one way to find out!
First China fungus.
This was my favorite reading spot of the day. There was a group of perch doing the backstroke on the surface nibbling away at something. I couldn't look away!
Rickety pirate ship display at the park. Totally normal.
I'm pretty sure this sign says, "This way, to fun!"
This spot is way up in the trees on a hill. One heck of a climb, but the cool marble benches were worth it.
So this sign was my favorite one of the trip. My colleague later told me it said, "Careful, remind tourist that snake in the park." Most of the informative signs in the park are in both English and Chinese. However, this very important sign was not. Coupled with the picture of the cobra, my wilderness reading was curtailed for the rest of the afternoon.
I'm not sure why there are emergency tents, water and goods in the park, but I'd love to know what risk they are prepared for. I think it is great, but curious.
This was called "Spitting Alligator."
I've been trying to get a photo of these birds for years. When they fly their tails are very dramatic. Of course the photo doesn't allow you to get that gist.
Hours of video games have told me stepping through this ring would take me to another world. Well, I think I'm still on the same plane.
The extent of the gardens is hard to explain. The only stones out of place are the ones thrown by children.
Happy Chinese New Year!
So things didn't go as planned. There was still joy and adventure, just in a different way. That's the thing about travel. You kind of have to throw yourself at the mercy of the universe and be as ready as possible to whatever may come. Big shoutout to mom for reminding me to bring some Theraflu with me in case the US flu did travel with me. Wow is she ever the smartest woman ever!
Go adventure!
Comments
Post a Comment