Cambodia Day 4 - Foreign Friends and the Big Temple Circuit

4 April 2017

Day four would be a significant diversion from the previous 3.  I would be joining a group.  There was a family of 4 Brits, and then two men, one Spanish and other English.  The British family was hilariously concerned about slowing down the group and the other two fellas were beginning a 12 day trip across Cambodia.  It was great to have some company to share the end of the journey with.  We started with a lot of single track and dense vegetation to get to the back of the temple.  I'm so thankful that I've been mountain biking a bit so I didn't have the grip of terror on my handlebars.  I could run those paths all day!


We started with Ta Phrom.  It is iconic for the trees that have grown around and through the ruins.  It was busy, but amazing.



This guy was putting on one heck of a mating show for any lady lizards in the area.



Too cool

The masonry is incredible in the old tunnels.







We traveled through busy city streets on to Angkor Thom.  It was quite hot and stops in the shade were critical.  We passed through a massive gate adorned with the large and smiling face of Avalokiteshvara.  One one side of the road were gods and on the other devils.




This gate is in the middle of nowhere.

These gates were all part of the walled compound of Angkor Thom.  We eventually came to a well worn entrance and the carvings became more and more clear as we approached.  It seemed that all the towers were carved with slightly smiling faces with full lips and knowing eyes.






We joyfully left this temple and relished in the wind provided by biking.  We were experiencing the joys of traffic and I noticed a sign that said, "Warning, Monkey Attacks."  I have a slight monkey phobia, so the monkey sitting in front of the sign did me no favors.  I mused as the British woman speaking with me pedaled on, oblivious to the potential hazard.  I'd been looking for monkeys all week, and there they were.  We were on to the largest temple of all, Angkor Wat.  

The universal bike lane!

My favorite serpent.

Sitting near the lake in the walls of Angkor Wat.  This is all within the moat that surrounds the temple grounds.


Immense reliefs covered all of the walls on the outside of the temples.  It was clear there were many heroes, victories and tragedies played out.



Our motley crew. 


I love how the paint has been protected by the awnings and construction of the temple.  I would love to have seen it in the 12th century, fresh and gleaming!

Last view of Angkor Wat.

We made the long walk back to our bikes, made a short ride back and said our goodbyes to the British family.  The two gentleman and I would make our way to a Cambodian dance dinner show where their odd couple personalities would make for a better show than the dancers.  We had a good time and I went for one last walk through the night markets upon our return.  There is definitely a very party scene side of Siem Reap for those needing that escape, but I chose a last night at the "Real Cambodia Spa" and street pancakes made by a very apt 9ish year old.  Think crepes, with nutella.  I ate two on principal of not knowing when I would be back.  I swung through the lady boy show to laugh with the crowd and enjoy the pageantry.  I kind of fell in love with Cambodia a bit.  It was easy to function there, the people were delightful and the overall atmosphere was welcoming.  Knowing that they were only about 40 years beyond a civil war that threatened to tear the country apart and had rebuilt so well made it all the more impressive.  I hope to return, but it will be ok if I never make it back.  It will always be a place that brings a smile.

My last view of Heng in his guide uniform.

As I wrote out these memories, I got to intimately relive them. I'm not talking about some sense of abstract reliving, but absolutely feeling the emotions, the smells, the exhaustion, the joy and the warmth of shared smiles.  It is most valuable to be able to have these memories planted deep and untouchable.  There are a lot of things we can lose in this world, but memories are yours forever.  I am so thankful to have adventures galore full of people, places and emotions.  I cannot encourage you enough to find a friend, someone you love or an acquaintance with a spirit of adventure and go explore near or far.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okie Travelers - Food, Fun and Fish

Buffalo River Journey - Two Fierce Women and a Dog

Glory Hole Hike - Yelling at Frogs and Other Adventures