Omaha - Lewis & Clark, Bike Trails Galore and Secretly Super Hip
What comes into your mind when you hear the word "Omaha?" A week ago, I would have said flat, not much happening, boring, blue collar. Well let me be the first to admit that I was 100% wrong. It is certainly not flat, cue shots of long rolling hills.... There are all kinds of hip things going on here and the people are diverse and wonderful and seemingly pleasant. Omaha not only boasts a serious music scene, but also has loads of cute bars, restaurants and attractions. I even stumbled into a massive bocce ball tournament. The zoo much be top notch as I've had multiple people mention it. This will be on tap for a second trip. More importantly, the Headquarters for the National Park Service Lewis and Clark Trail is here and there are hundreds of miles of bike trails and bike lanes.
I stumbled across the National Park visitor center as I rode towards the river on my sweet rented bicycle. I looked up to see the Department of the Interior logo on a building. This brought me loads of joy that only escalated when I realized it was a whole Lewis and Clark related Historic Site. For some context, I took 6 credit hours of Lewis and Clark history in college. Is that a lot? Yes. That is 8 months of classes, three times a week that involved trips to the buffalo farm, canoeing/swimming with our clothes on (and tumping the canoes in the pool on purpose), reading pages and pages of L&C diaries, shooting bows and arrows and lastly, using buffalo chips to light fires and cook dinner. This was experiential education at it's finest and I loved studying the expedition. So, yes, this is the type of park that may send me into gleeful waves of joy. I stopped in to check it out. The ranger was the perfect guy at the perfect time. I had my Katy Trail jersey on (which is at the beginning of the L&C trail) and we immediately got to chatting about biking. This led to maps being pulled out, routes being planned and eventually me riding to all sorts of Lewis and Clark sites. This is what I love about the Park Service. That ranger took the time as a steward of a resource to help me have an awesome experience. 27 miles later, I rolled back to my hotel with nothing more on my mind than getting back out on these trails as soon as possible.
Here are some photos from the day. It may not look like much, but the trail system is very well developed, well mapped and very well maintained. I am ready to come back!
Trail surfaces ranged from boardwalk, to concrete to asphalt.
I'm on a bridge and the sun is shining. Yay!
View from the overlook at the top of the longest hill ever. It was worth it and the ride down was exhilarating and terrifying. I let the bike roll, went into high gear went for speed.
The ceremonial gifting of basketballs from the Indian Tribes to Lewis and Clark.
One of the largest swing bridges in the early 1900s. The entire span in this photo is parallel to the river. It pivots on the square tower in the center to connect with the other side of the swing bridge that is still over the Missouri River. Although no longer operational, it is still a really neat concept.
Between the dandelions, the river and the clouds, today was basically flawless riding conditions. Of note, there was also zero wind.
The pedestrian bridge over the Missouri.
Epic water feature at the ConAgra Campus.
Lutheran Church on the way home.
Clearly the zombie apocalypse is going to start with mannequins in black jackets and no pants. I didn't see this coming...
As a last note, I want to express a reminder to keep pushing for adventures and endorphin drops when you can. I was/am tired from adventures stacked on adventures in the middle of working, living, etc. I considered cancelling my bike rental, sleeping in today and just driving in late. As it was, I wasn't going to get on a bike until 4pm and wasn't sure it would be worth the effort.
I would have missed so much. Sure, I wouldn't have known, but what an opportunity cost. I'm not advocating not getting enough rest, but make sure you aren't growing complacent or capitulating to the lure of mediocrity. Not every adventure will rock your world, but I believe it's worth it to give it a chance.
Comments
Post a Comment