Shenzhen: A Travel Favorite - Rainy Day Outing
26 March 2017
Another unexpected day in Shenzhen, but this time I was empowered by a colleague's Mobike account. What does this mean? For $0.43, I rode a mysterious, single speed bicycle, that was built for someone several inches shorter than I, approximately 18 miles. When I was done with the bike, I parked it and another young man came up, scanned it, and off he went on his own adventure, commute, or who knows. I have to say, these are moments when I'm certain China has a grasp on a few things better than the US. That being said, it was a slow ride, a bit of rain, but I got seat time and saw a lot of faces, miles and waterfowl.
A few notes about today:
Another unexpected day in Shenzhen, but this time I was empowered by a colleague's Mobike account. What does this mean? For $0.43, I rode a mysterious, single speed bicycle, that was built for someone several inches shorter than I, approximately 18 miles. When I was done with the bike, I parked it and another young man came up, scanned it, and off he went on his own adventure, commute, or who knows. I have to say, these are moments when I'm certain China has a grasp on a few things better than the US. That being said, it was a slow ride, a bit of rain, but I got seat time and saw a lot of faces, miles and waterfowl.
A few notes about today:
- I forgot to put on my bike shorts. It was survivable with the sweet full coverage seat.
- I didn't see a single westerner or foreigner all day.
- You really have to learn where to find the underpasses in China. If you do not, you will be hopelessly trapped on one side of the highway or the other. I call them "people tunnels" for the record.
- You have find adventure in how it's presented to you. It's not always going to be optimal, perfect or how you imagined. Do not let that stop you.
My trusty steed. Ridiculously small, but for 43 cents, I'm in!
Low maintenance tires
The Greenway of the East! Ok, really just the Greenway of Shenzhen Futian.
Challenging surface for long duration pedaling, but clean and tidy.
Look at the bills on these birds!
Likely my favorite photo I've ever taken.
Post ride pizza. I love the ribbon.
Now a few highlights from Wuhan China:
Yellow Crane Tower
Death Defying Acts
Frogs that can escape, but don't...so sad and apparently delicious.
I love these guys.
Hotel roommate.
Bridge over the Yangtze River.
Juxtaposition of old and new.
Sending greetings from the east. Adventure is always good, but it is critical to not lose site of home. Home is where your heart is.
Comments
Post a Comment