4th Annual First Solo Float 2017

7 January 2017

As with the last 3 years, it was time to suit up, load the yak, listen to the concern of family members and friends and head out on the first float of the year.  I've learned that cold is bearable with the sun out, so I delayed a few days to catch a bright, cheery day.  I was blessed with snow the day before that lightly coated rocks, trees, hillsides and roads.  It really brings out the contrast in the landscape. The road to Rush Landing was iced in, so I opted for North Maumee to Dillard's Ferry on the Buffalo River.  

 Now, down to business, critter count (in order of appearance):
  • Kingfishers (too many to count)
  • 1 Blue Heron
  • 2 Bald Eagles
  • 1 Super Large Bird - Unidentified
  • 1 Barred Owl call (hearing an owl in broad daylight was a little odd)
  • 3 deer crossing at close range.
  • 1 little duck
  • 2 deer in the distance
  • 2 rangy, unaffiliated dogs
  • And last, but not least, for the first time in 4 years --------- AN OTTER!
I literally got to see it as flash.  The trouble with today is the cold and wind necessitated the use of the awesome hood on my dry suit.  It took my hearing so I was a bit dependent on my eyes to catch critters.  I was starting to paddle a bit more vigorously (a reaction to ridiculously cold feet) and out of the corner of my eye, I saw a slender figure dart down a shoreline trail and fly into the water.  It was an otter on a super sneaky water entry.  It never resurfaced that I could find, but it still brought a lot of joy.  Four years ago, on the same stretch, I was thoroughly chastised by two otters.  I had clearly interrupted their playtime.  I'll take the otter flash over no otters.  It was really quite exciting. 

Muffled by my hood, I still got to hear my wake disturb the ice on the shoreline.  I even got to paddle into ice and try to break it.  It is definitely harder than it looks!  The icicles on the cliffs popped and cracked all around.  The Kingfishers chattered in flight and critters rustled in the grassy walls of the riverbed.  The audio of the river on a snowy, cold day is not dominated by man made sounds, but rather the day to day inhabitants.  I highly recommend the experience if you are properly equipped.  

On that note, a dry suit is a ridiculous investment, but the reduction in risk for winter paddling is well worth it.  I usually dress for skiing, pack a bag of dry clothes, a stove and shelter to prepare for the worst case scenario of a swim in 30 degree weather and 35ish degree water.  This year, I wrestled into my expedition dry suit with handy layers underneath and headed out.  I still had winter emergency gear, but I didn't feel like I was playing the safety line so close.  Did I look like a giant mango in a red kayak?  Yes, yes I did.  Safest mango on the Buffalo River.  I stand by this statement: safety is sexy.

It was a great day with no mishaps.  Toes were beyond cold, but that passed.  3 Cheers for having such an amazing resource to enjoy.

Beaver Lake from the Highway 12 Landing - On the Way

Highway 12 Bridge

Hobbs State Park - On the Way

A Snow Covered North Maumee Landing - I was the first one out since the snow!

Frozen Waves!

Cardinals will apparently bathe in any weather.

You can see the ice on the left.  A lot of the river has ice on the edges.



The hood was previously perceived as "in the way" on the dry suit - best feature ever.

Water was freezing nearly instantly on any surface (including the camera lens) that it got a thin layer on.  My deck was covered with ice, gloves, rigging, life jacket, etc.

It was unbelievably quite in the dark sections.





This is one of a dozen photos of this feature.  I love getting images of ice this time of year.


Dillard's Ferry - Highway 14 Bridge

Nice little shoal about 1.5 miles before Spring Creek.  I could listen to this soundtrack all day.

Some people have asked why I feel it necessary to get out in very cold weather to go on my annual solo float.  The short of it is that I feel the need to connect with the river on my own before a busy season of group paddles, camping adventures and shenanigans take the focus.  I love these adventures, but when I'm alone (i.e. there may not have been another soul on the river today) I get to enjoy all the memories of previous adventures.  I pass campsites with memories of warm fires, great meals and a lot of laughter.  I pass the place where I saw a grandfather and grandson laughing themselves sick after flipping a canoe.  I remember eating lunch under a horse-apple tree with a dear friend.  I remember where I saw otters 4 years ago.  I remember a Thanksgiving float where my dad and I flipped a canoe.  All of these little flashes are triggered by the silence of being alone and drifting back through familiar geography.  It's really kind of a gift to myself.  Like floating through a scrapbook of some of the most treasured moments.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okie Travelers - Food, Fun and Fish

Buffalo River Journey - Two Fierce Women and a Dog

Glory Hole Hike - Yelling at Frogs and Other Adventures