You Can't Out Run Horseflies - 2016 NPS 5K Run
Out of my deep love for public lands, I signed up for the NPS Anniversary Virtual 5K. I liked that you could run where you want, when you want, with no pressure. This turned into a Sunday night, pre-dusk, frustration fueled escape, but that is very ok and made the money spent well worth it.
My friends will tell you I'm no runner. If you need me to paddle miles upon miles, huck a ruck for hours, or mind a rope in a rescue, I'm your girl. I have stamina, but not as a runner. For the record, no one chased me to accomplish this minor event, I just had a financial commitment to finishing. That being said, the suddenness with which I left my house to knock it out had me in my paddling clothes from an earlier adventure. This also meant I was in Chacos. My feet are shredded, but here is the great value. As I started running down the trail, my strides lengthened up, my lungs went into a familiar cadence and I felt completely effortless. Focusing on every piece of gravel, taking care not crush my other trail company (spiders, caterpillars, etc.) and minding the occasional slide under my feet when I hit a loose patch of trail was hedging on spiritual. That familiar catch of breath and tightening of core for correction dropped the slightest chemical cocktail. For the first moment in a while, the silence of human influence allowed me to have a moment with myself. It's been sometime since I've allowed myself the luxury of time alone and it was restorative. I felt free, strong and sharp. Who would have thought that the sport I avoid, in the park I've grown indifferent to, would be a reset? I'm thankful for Hobbs State Park and late night commitments to 5Ks. There will be more trail running at dusk, albeit in proper footwear.
Never underestimate the value of being in the wilderness for its transitions. Tonight I heard the birds quiet and the crickets become the quiet voice echoing in the wilderness as light slowly crept from the landscape. This is a gift to be treasured and I aim to never take it lightly.
My friends will tell you I'm no runner. If you need me to paddle miles upon miles, huck a ruck for hours, or mind a rope in a rescue, I'm your girl. I have stamina, but not as a runner. For the record, no one chased me to accomplish this minor event, I just had a financial commitment to finishing. That being said, the suddenness with which I left my house to knock it out had me in my paddling clothes from an earlier adventure. This also meant I was in Chacos. My feet are shredded, but here is the great value. As I started running down the trail, my strides lengthened up, my lungs went into a familiar cadence and I felt completely effortless. Focusing on every piece of gravel, taking care not crush my other trail company (spiders, caterpillars, etc.) and minding the occasional slide under my feet when I hit a loose patch of trail was hedging on spiritual. That familiar catch of breath and tightening of core for correction dropped the slightest chemical cocktail. For the first moment in a while, the silence of human influence allowed me to have a moment with myself. It's been sometime since I've allowed myself the luxury of time alone and it was restorative. I felt free, strong and sharp. Who would have thought that the sport I avoid, in the park I've grown indifferent to, would be a reset? I'm thankful for Hobbs State Park and late night commitments to 5Ks. There will be more trail running at dusk, albeit in proper footwear.
Never underestimate the value of being in the wilderness for its transitions. Tonight I heard the birds quiet and the crickets become the quiet voice echoing in the wilderness as light slowly crept from the landscape. This is a gift to be treasured and I aim to never take it lightly.
Comments
Post a Comment