Strangers in the Hotel Lobby

Finding myself with a few more hours to explore Shanghai, I headed for the best resource in a locale, the concierge.  We were attempting to discuss the must see locations in the city and a voice popped up and said, "Were you thinking of going there today?  I was too and would like to have the company." My security brain went red alert for about 1 second, but when I turned around she seemed nice enough in cute flats, a cardigan and pretty tidy English.  This is how I met Ying and traveled to the middle of the city at short notice.  Flying out of business attire and making a note regarding the circumstances of my present adventure, I considered the following:

1)  She could be a government agent.
2)  She could be some sort of corporate espionage agent.
3)  She might be a nice lady from Atlanta (orignally from China) that would prefer to not venture out into the night alone for a shopping adventure.  

Throwing away all teaching that said this was a bad idea and going with the fact that my gut was feeling pretty good about everything, we set out for the subway.  There isn't a way to really explain the subway in China at rush hour on a Friday.  There was so much touching, so much shoving to eek out maximum space.  Because I know too much, all I could think was, "This is why a sarin attack works here...God forbid a biological weapon."  We survived and popped out at Tianzifang.  

Tianzifang is essentially a maze of small alleys crammed with shops, restaurants and bars.  The smells ranged from glorious herbs (like soap and lotion herbs) to disturbing mystery food smells.  The power lines run precariously overhead and uneven surfaces wreck havoc with footfalls of tired travelers.  We talked ourselves into and out of street sweets.  I helped her pick out the perfect silk scarf and she helped me find the perfect postcards.  

It was lovely and innocent adventure.  I have no idea what Ying's last name is, but I can tell you all about her family and life back home.  She is kind, pleasant and willing to use her Chinese to further the adventure.  This outing reminded me of being young, free and curious.  I'm thankful for a stanger that was much more forward than I can ever imagine.  Here's to finding great joy in the unexpected.















Comments

  1. I love this! Maybe it's the chatty, middle-of-the-US person in me, but I think it's great to be open with other humans!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Okie Travelers - Food, Fun and Fish

Buffalo River Journey - Two Fierce Women and a Dog

Glory Hole Hike - Yelling at Frogs and Other Adventures