Lianhuashan Park - Shenzhen Trekkin'
On the eve of setting off for a more traditional adventure, I decide I must not wallow in Doritos and Cupcakes, but go for an extended walk - minimum of 5 miles. 15.35 miles later - I'm one happy camper. Something that looks so innocuous on the map, "just" a park, turns into the main attraction. China is full of beautifully managed parks. They are cleaner than imaginable and full of life in both flora and society. The image above is the first sight upon entering the park. The roots easily consume over a 40 foot diameter circle. The next sight, and one that repeats through the day, is of kite fliers. Young, old and everything in between; I see teenagers laughing as they chase the wind and the steady hand of a practiced flier keeping a watchful eye on a kite no less than 300 feet in the air. The Chinese have not forgot how to play. We all share this cool cloudy day, embracing the great outdoors, soaking up the fresh air and listening to the rhythms of life all around.
My landmark to get home. It is scheduled to be the tallest building in China - until they build a bigger one.
After finding a people tunnel to get me under the large highway, I stumbled into this lovely garden path to the park.
This kite is about 6 feet tall. It is definitely flown by an experienced hand.
I love these trees...I cannot figure out what they are!
This seems to have something to do with the railroad, but wow!
This wall covered in music goes on for about 100 yards.
Shockingly pink apartments. Such a pleasant contrast to the park and city scapes.
Fruit or seeds attached to the elephant ear looking plants.
Forgotten fire hydrant. It isn't red like it's comrades, but it still stands resolute in the vines.
Beware the pokey plants.
If ever in doubt of the path to take - Mountain Climbing cannot be wrong.
I stalked birds here for quite some time. They were high fliers with long tails covered with brilliant black, blue and white.
Not sure what it means, but I'm in!
These resting points blend with their environments setting a tone of cooperation rather than intrusion.
The crew of all male mallard ducks cruising the lake. Where dem girls at?
From here you can hear a woman unashamed to sing with great volume, flute music in the distance, kids laughing and water lapping from the pedal boats.
These trees, so committed to excellence!
Hugging the trees while munching the caramel popcorn that was acquired through much hand gesturing and such.
View from the top! The peak is covered with young and old. There is only one way to get there and it is arduous and worth every step!
My Dad's favorite gardening flower. These things are everywhere!
This last picture set me to thinking. You really must choose your own path. If not, the world, your career, people, will choose it for you. I am choosing adventure. Whether its in my backyard or at the city park, there are things to see, smells to smell, so many sounds to hear and feelings to feel. Taking a deep breath on a nearly deserted path on a mountain in the middle of a massive port city and feeling at peace is a choice and I'm thankful I made it today.
Go outside and play!




































No one in this world is more proud of his daughter than me. Although she puts a few extra grey hairs on my already "thinning" hairline, lol, on a near daily basis, Lin is definitely
ReplyDelete