3rd Annual First Solo Float - Gilbert to N Maumee
I'm a little late this year, but with a 60 degree day, I can't say I'm complaining! Given the sun was shining and the birds were chirping, I opted for the 11.5 Miles between Gilbert and North Maumee on the Buffalo (not to be confused with South Maumee).
First of all, I've finally come to the conclusion that 11ish miles on a winter day is a bit much. There is decent, but low flow and the urge to lay in the sun while all bundled up counters the need to paddle.
The big news on the river is the record flood over the Christmas / New Year week. The river looks like, well, like a flood went through it. Debris fields of trees holding other trees, and sand and missing gravel bars are par for the course. Things that should have been known points on this trip were no longer recognizable. All in all it was an uneventful day, but there are a few highlights below with commentary...
First of all, I've finally come to the conclusion that 11ish miles on a winter day is a bit much. There is decent, but low flow and the urge to lay in the sun while all bundled up counters the need to paddle.
The big news on the river is the record flood over the Christmas / New Year week. The river looks like, well, like a flood went through it. Debris fields of trees holding other trees, and sand and missing gravel bars are par for the course. Things that should have been known points on this trip were no longer recognizable. All in all it was an uneventful day, but there are a few highlights below with commentary...
Running into the sunrise!
The old bridge foundation just east of Gilbert. Always reminds me of "The Never Ending Story" - Shout Out to 80s kids who get it.
1 of 3 eagles!
Hey, what's in that tree?
Oh, yes, of course, a bale of hay.... Floods are so epic.
A quick catalog of my core emergency kit*. **
*Not pictured are maps, snacks, Life Straw, and medical supplies.
**GPS Unit is not critical - it photo bombed me.
The super critical box that all the emergency supplies cram into!
Sweet water effects on the rock.
The water clarity was exceptional. The flood was a great renewal.
My favorite blade.
Creepy, likely not unattended canoe...
That moment when you thought you were alone, and then you aren't.
Look! My truck, oh wait, you don't see it either? Do you see the tiny, bent backwards sign for the take out on the right center of the frame? Not that either? Well, this is the North Maumee takeout. The photo below is from May of 2014. There are trees, multiple climbs up, new steps and sand. So, much, sand.... You know what doesn't roll well in sand, kayak wheels. You know who is going to start doing more squats and box jumps? ME! Pressing up with a 67 pound kayak on my shoulder in sand was less than attractive. Grunts, lots o' grunts. I still love the power of nature. This was more of a tired paddler phycology moment.
Circa May 2014 - The Coolest Chick I know - Mim Heinrichs on the left.
Keep on getting out there friends. The sun will rise and set, with or without you! Be there to greet it once in a while!
I know I (might) be just a little on the prejudice side, but I am the luckiest dad in ALL OF THIS WHOLE WORLD !!! Go get me Kiddo, never look back. Btw, what is a chickens worst day of the week ??? FRY DAY !!!!
ReplyDeleteOk, damn spell check, GO GET IT KIDDO !!!!
ReplyDelete