Hiking with Librarians -- Apparently, It's My Thing

Finding myself in Oklahoma with decent weather in January was a great adventure waiting to happen.  Luckily I was couch surfing with my childhood friend Kate.  Kate is the aforementioned librarian and, thus far, a very willing adventuring buddy. 

We set out for my favorite place on the planet, the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge, near Medicine Park, OK.  I had in mind a brutal hike that I adore, but family and friends encouraged me to maintain my friendship with Kate (i.e. trying to kill someone by climbing up the back of a mountain on a cold day is discouraged).  A few folks have made the hike over the back of Elk Mountain with me.  I solute you and our continued friendships. 

We stalled a bit getting bagels and buffalo searching and low and behold - buffalo magic.

 

After finally deciding that the wind may stay at bay, we jumped straight into the Charon Gardens wilderness area.  This is by far the most rugged part of the park.  We headed to the valley of boulders.  This is a blissful scramble, climb, slide and sometimes wiggle through massive boulders.  With apple and pear in over watch (see below), we made it through with a slightly more traditional trail to greet us on the other side.  The best part was getting to the valley.  Kate says, "We have to go through that?"  To which I grin and go scooting down a boulder.  We make it through with minimal scrapes and then face the daunting task of toe stepping through narrow rock paths covered with ice and snow left over from a week prior.  Kate is relieved of her water bottle by a rather feisty cedar bush and we push on! 





 
Apple and Pear

Look closely and you will see Kate's water bottle in the foreground and Kate further up the trail.  The tree snagged it and showed little remorse.


We continued our hike to the south, enjoying the warmth of the sun and headed to Post Oak Falls.  It was amazing and words really don't cut it.  I had to climb to the top.  This is a waterfall hunting obsession that has blessed me with poison ivy at times, but not this day!  Kate opted for sunlight, a bagel and pondering what adventure she was trapped in.  I suspect this was shortly after the discussion where I announced we would be returning through the valley of boulders. 








 
After a slight communications snafu which brought Kate to the top of the waterfall, we continued on into the unknown wilderness.  Once Mexican food was discussed, the wheels came off.  Stopping before we turned back, Kate announced, "It's so quiet it hurts my ears."  This made me laugh as I found it divine to a level I am unable to fully articulate.  To put it bluntly, the wildlife is my refuge.  There are memories with too many people to count.  There is a peace and familiarity that has the same comfort that people often associate with a favored elderly grandparent.  I know the rocks, the paths, the trees and I yearn for it. 







Blood was shed shortly after this photo was taken....  Go Kate!  Get it!





Beginning the hike back to chants of "Tequila, Tequila, Tequila,"  we headed back into a wondrous vista that was now cast in a new, rich, warm sunshine that hadn't quite graced us on our morning path. 

We survived, some with more blood left on rocks than others.  Kate has sworn she can never trust me again as I posed this as "just a hike."  I suspect these epic adventures might be growing on her. 


Fungus and snow!



A few of the wildlife we encountered on the way out. 

Elk

Handsome Longhorn Cattle

Baby Longhorns!


 
Until next time, cheers adventurers!
 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okie Travelers - Food, Fun and Fish

Buffalo River Journey - Two Fierce Women and a Dog

Glory Hole Hike - Yelling at Frogs and Other Adventures