To Solitude or not solitude....

I was provided the option this morning of jumping both feet into a social endeavor or going on a hike on a perfectly cloudy, breezy, 70 degree day.  While torn, I opted for the solitude.  Once I was on the trail, solitude turned to an awareness that I wasn't alone at all.  It was really more a time of fellowship with nature, the universe, the greater, so to speak.  I've learned by now that this sort of recharge, regardless of how brief, is critical to proper functioning.  With the steady march of technology as an invasive force, I wonder if a great portion of the population has lost this connection with the wild.  The though fills me with horror, but it is probably just the way of things, "progress."  Sometimes you need to step into the wilderness to remember that you aren't the center of the universe.  We are nothing in the great scheme of things and that is really quite a relief!

I don't want this to sound like an assault on the modern way (of which many facets I adore), but more of a focus on all the small moments and the busyness in the woods.  Walking a trail slow and seeing the Daddy Long Legs clamoring over each other to escape my boots, or picking the seeds off my shirt that were expecting to hitch a longer ride, these are only points where I'm contacting nature.  When you stop and look around, there is constant decay and new growth.  And if you close your eyes, the wind will whip through and stitch you back together while the trees sway in delight that you've come to share the breeze.  The birds and bugs will wow you with their unique, ubiquitous and endearing calls, chirps and chatter.  Opening your eyes again, the river is rolling and toiling to keep going, wherever it is going.  I love the little things and the simplicity and complexity of it all.  It all makes sense.  Everything has a purpose and it works splendidly.  

Here are a few shots of what I saw this morning.  Enjoy it and get out there!


See if you can find who is perfectly camoflauged in this photo.  






This tiny mushroom was hiding out in a hole in the rock.  


Tiny water impacted rocks that look like mountains from an airplane.  So cool!







This is tick and seed-ville.  Free rides on hikers!


This is my favorite shot of the day.  So many colors and textures.  What a dramatic display of simple beauty!






















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okie Travelers - Food, Fun and Fish

Buffalo River Journey - Two Fierce Women and a Dog

Glory Hole Hike - Yelling at Frogs and Other Adventures