Finally, Africa

Most people have ideas as a kid of where they must go, things they must do.  For me it has always been Africa.  I suspect after traveling to India that it was the true location of my desires (Kipling and Rikki Tikki Tavi are confusing for a kid in Oklahoma).  It turns out India was my true love, but that doesn't mean Africa didn't hold the same grip.  I was unexpectedly assigned to Nigeria and then Kenya.  Having the opportunity to operate in both east Africa and northwest Africa was quite a welcome shock.  Fortunately I was blessed with an adventurous traveling party in Nairobi and a great work partner in Nigeria. 

NAIROBI
To set the scene in Nairobi, President Obama was set to visit for the Global Entrepreneurship Summit.  The streets were empty of traffic and pedestrians.  It was almost eerie.    American flags were flying in the streets, billboards plastered with his image were in  abundance and every American face welcomed by association.  I suspect this is not the Nairobi of the norm, but it was the lot we were cast and it created a great opportunity to move about the city.  This is part with the great traveling party (all women) with a flair for adventure and it was a memorable week of hard work and adventure.  I have to admit that when someone tasks me with showing them an afternoon of what is local and hip about Nairobi, I'm set for the job.  We managed to travel to a local Maasai Market, Elephant Orphanage, Giraffe Sanctuary, Crocodile Sanctuary, Rolfe's CafĂ©, Nairobi National Park and Sanctuary and several local restaurants.  We worked safely, efficiently and effectively and managed to have a lot of fun in the process.  I'd call that a success. 
 
Wild ostrich is so much scarier than contained Ostrich.







Wild dog puppy.

Slow road crosser.


Zebras, in the wild, stopped my heart for a moment.

I remember loving these in the zoo when I was a kid.  And there it is, living outside where it belongs.




Massive and terrifying water buffalo.

Crazed guinea family.  No different than the US version, same level of hysteria.





Rose farming operation.  Very interesting.


One of these flags is not like the other one...

View from my hotel room.  Field hockey and soccer.

Joy at the Maasai Market.

Rolf's Place





Local culture - huts of tribal groups.

Best poster I've seen in a while.  Note, no throwing stars, elephant foot items, handcuffs, magnets or swords allowed.




Pete the orphaned ostrich.


I swear I told him a joke and he laughed.


Exactly why ostriches are scary.

No description needed.

Sweet relief showing the catastrophe at Tsavo.  LOVED IT

Annaleigh loves some giraffe contact.  I find them odd and disconcerting.


However, I love reptiles.  This little guy was so chill and enjoying my warm bod in winter temps.


Not a giant man, a tiny turtle.

My derpy cat friend at lunch.  Don't feed the strays...

Empty streets...


Market chaos. 

A-10 Warthogs escorting the President.

Wild Baboons - NOT OK

My favorite animal of the whole trip and I don't know it's name.  Looks like a little old man with a beautiful body.

Pretty sure he was considering ripping our throats out. Completely reasonable.

Stripped hyenas - the stuff of nightmares.  They have the creepiest little walk.

Monkey business.  The monkeys touch you, you do not touch the monkeys. 

That isn't genuine happiness for those that don't know me well.  That is being nice and playing along...

No peanut left behind.

A mongoose!

And finally, the hail storm the last day I was in Nairobi.  It was the middle of winter, but I never expected hail.  Africa is a great place to not have expectations.  Different rhythms.
 
NIGERIA (ABUJA AND LAGOS)
This portion of the trip was bit more focused on a quick get in, get out and see the market mentality rather than the focus of an event and culture, etc.  It definitely had a more desperate feel, but all I can say is that they are getting along and making do.  I wouldn't take my Nana on vacation there, but wouldn't hesitate to go back.  Wherever you go, people are people.  They want to be treated properly and to have a basic standard of living.  That standard varies from place to place, but this one was good and eye opening.
 
I misperceived the topography in Abuja.  Hills!

A charming, "how do you do?" from Nigeria. 

More on the unexpected topography.
 
Another beautiful sunset with coworkers.


The last day of an epic journey.  You know the boss is happy when she asks for a selfie.  She said, "look like you are excited about the last day of a long trip."  Consider me excited. What an awesome woman to support.


Roadside snack deals going down.


Floating city that white foreigners can't go to.  Usually it had a layer of smoke covering it. 


I took this photo to show how the women carry their kids.  It was fascinating that they have adapted to be able to pack them around everywhere. 

View from headquarters.  We earnestly spent 15 minutes looking for bodies in the lagoon.  Odd how that seems normal in the moment.




More roadside sales.  You could buy anything.  A few examples: sunglasses, nuts, floor mats, trashcan, charging cord, flags, socks, pants, snacks.
 
 
I could go into a long dialogue about Africa and why it's behind, but I won't.  I'll suffice to say that it is clearly facing some challenges and has been for a long time.  Racial issues are at the forefront, followed swiftly by poverty and a lack of education.  Even those with the leg up of education are lacking hope.  The socio-economic disparities are startling, but as I said above, people are people and they are wired to survive.  If that means dogs are on the menu or you have to carry your goods 20 kilometers into the city from the village every day, these people will do it.  The few I talked to about it seemed to faith in God, while the others were fully committed to their tribes.  They are making their way, in their own way.  Left my brain whirring and has led to some serious contemplation.  The dark continent is no longer so for me.  I've made acquaintances (that felt more like friends), smelled the smells and survived the local dishes.  Africa, thanks for having me for a bit and treating me like one of your own.    
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okie Travelers - Food, Fun and Fish

Buffalo River Journey - Two Fierce Women and a Dog

Glory Hole Hike - Yelling at Frogs and Other Adventures