First Vegas or Bust Trip - Definitely not a Bust!

I am blessed with friends that help me get out of my little kayaking, camping and generally water related comfort zone.  One such friend, knowing I hadn't been to Vegas, invited me to go with her (names have been changed to protect the innocent - Let's go with Cindy). It was a blast, it was good to leave.  There isn't much commentary needed, but she took me EVERYWHERE.  It was the do it all, see it all, experience it all tour of Vegas that one needs to properly figure out what they need to focus on during the next visit.  I'm thankful we survived and had a blast (and no one lost fancy shoes wandering home!)

The Flight In: Stunning views of the Grand Canyon -- Drunk seat mates terrified of Vegas and going for a birthday party.  I was so wise as a 31 year old to their 20 year old selves....

Standard advice:
  1. Don't get in cars with strangers.
  2. Pay attention to your drink when in an establishment.
  3. Make sure and write down what hotel you are at in case you need to show a cab driver.
  4. Have fun.  Be safe. 




 
The first night, we stayed out until 4:52AM home time.  2 notes of interest: 1) I had no idea I was physiologically able.  2)  Was having so much fun, I didn't notice.  Cheers!
 
Our home sweet home!


Hiding behind the cup doesn't mean the cheap well alcohol can't find you...

 
 
Once we came to life on day two, found food to keep us from sliding from inebriated to hungover (Denny's saved some lives), we took a LONG walk to see the sites and dry out.  The most ridiculous things amused me...
 
The Cosmo

The Bellagio



Epic Chocolate Fountain

Water Things!


Elton John Glasses, yes, yes I think we need these.

I was promised scantly clad centurions at the Caesar...this is the best that we could do.

Our second runner up, hanging out with Perseus.

The Mirage Volcano!  Hands down, best display!

The Venetian
 
 


That night, we hit old Vegas - Freemont Street.  This was definitely more of what I was expecting.  The New Orleans atmosphere on a large scale.  Super fun, a looser and so busy.
 



It was hot, but not speedo on a public street hot.


"My name is Cindy and I'm not impressed by your short jokes."

Making friends!



He lives!
 
The next day, work beckoned Cindy so I took off on a tour of the Hoover Dam.  Seemed like an American thing to do.  After learning about it, I was distinctly torn between the awesome power of the American spirit to build such an amazing structure and our confidence that we are right in stopping the freedom and power of a raging river for our own benefit. 
 
It was so hot....


Diversion tunnels used to divert the water so they could build the dam.

Massive generators.

Bridge that cost more and took longer to build, that allows you to look at the dam and drive around it.



Distinctly Egyptian looking statue. 
 
The view down.
 
Our last night on the town, we had finally recovered from the first night on the town.  We went on an epic zipline, had a great dinner and finished it off like the classy ladies we are.
 

Flamingo butts, make me nuts.


Local brews and the US v Nigeria World Cup game!

Pre-zipline anxiety shot.

Views off the Rio

 
It was good to visit, but really time to get home.  Thankful again for a considerate and wonderful traveling companion that knows when to say no to the 24 hour tattoos and piercings shop.  You are what made Vegas a hoot!

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okie Travelers - Food, Fun and Fish

Buffalo River Journey - Two Fierce Women and a Dog

Glory Hole Hike - Yelling at Frogs and Other Adventures