Find Happiness Where You Are

I am so very fortunate to have a career that has me traveling with great frequency.  Through it all, I've experienced a lifetime of adventures tacked onto the beginning and end of these travels.  Of late, I've had two unexpected moments where I saw a gap in the schedule and seized it like this otter holding a baby otter:

 
I love water.  It's my favorite element.  Lakes, pools, puddles, all great, but rivers are the king in this realm.  Why?  It moves, constantly changes and is way stronger than most of us are willing to admit.  If a swim or paddle in a river won't settle your soul, I don't know how to help you.  Rivers teach us that sometimes you have to roll with the current.  Some days are full of furious paddling and others we are meant to just drift along.  There will be obstacles, but there will be beauty, even in the moments of chaos.  Most importantly, you must always look downstream.  Look where you are going and stay curious about where you are at the moment and what might be around the corner.  Wherever you've paddled before is important, but it doesn't define how the rest of the river will go.  Be prepared, but have fun.  Stop and sleep in the sun (even in 17 degree weather).  Have lunch.  Take pictures of bugs.  Don't ever take it for granted.
 
PACUARE RIVER
 
The first adventure was the Pacuare River in Costa Rica.  Fortunate to hop on a last minute trip out we set out with Costa Sol rafting company for some class III - IV water.  My boat mates were composed of an executive on a Spanish Immersion experience and 4 students engaged in a similar quest.  A quality group that filled the raft with Spanish and English all day.  It's hard to explain the amazement of trying to look at rapids and rainforest, but it was stunning.  The day turned from blazing sun to brutal rain, but it didn't matter.  Fellowship was established on the raft and there were smiles all around. 
 
Started the day with a hefty Costa Rican breakfast.
 












 

The crew!







Swimming in the canyon.  Probably the best part of the trip outside of the epic rapids.
 




Best bathroom sign ever.

Survivors!
 
I wouldn't have traded the day for anything!  I'm learned to not have to be OCD about checking river gauges and researching every element we may encounter.  Let it go a bit, trust the guides and have a blast.  Check times 3. 
 
HUDSON RIVER
 
And now for something completely different.  I was in New York and decided the runs in Central Park and hotel gym were just not sustainable from a happiness factor.  Late night internet searching led me to accidently stumble on Manhattan Kayak Company.  After leaving what was likely an odd voicemail at midnight, I was able to hook up with them after work on Saturday and go for a paddle.  The weather wasn't divine, we didn't see any critters worth mentioning, but the company was exceptionally pleasant and the kayak (Tsunami 170) was a dream for cutting up current.  It was a welcome respite from a city that can get a bit loud and seemingly unfriendly at times.  Highly recommended. 
 
Nose of the Intrepid

Kayaker ain't skeerd.



Brandon - Paid Guide (i.e. they have to legally give you one so I essentially paid for his company...)



Drool on Floor - Out of Camera View
 
All in all, these few experiences reminded me that you need to find happiness wherever you are.  You really do only live once.  Seizing those moments and gaps won't probably make all the difference, but is sure makes the busy and chaotic stints a little more bearable. 
 
Go Outside.  Have adventures.  It's highly unlikely you'll regret it. 
 
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okie Travelers - Food, Fun and Fish

Buffalo River Journey - Two Fierce Women and a Dog

Glory Hole Hike - Yelling at Frogs and Other Adventures