Chipmunk...You are my Muse.
Easter Sunday and I'm on the road! No worries, there is always a state park to find a little Sunday Service aka Soul Stitching. I headed to Staunton State Park outside of Denver and hiked 14.5 miles of its trails! You know what hurts most after 14.5 miles of hiking? My face, from smiling.
What made this hike spectacular:
1. Everyone was friendly and inebriated on sunshine, the constant breeze and 70 degree weather.
2. The trails were all brand new (to me, but also to the population, it was built in 2013) and Colorado State Parks puts topographic information on the printed maps! Brilliant.
3. So many dogs on the trail. I probably got at least 6 dog kisses on my hand from passers by. Heaven.
4. Some mysterious bird or mammal was heckling me all day. Not the same one of course, but an odd and rather loud call.
5. I startled a chipmunk on a part of trail that was uphill and killing me from the altitude. Was too exhausted to massively flinch, but we both squealed at each other.
6. I was blessed enough to have the time, will, means and health to do it. I know I'm fortunate!
Some images from an amazing day!
A few photos of the beautiful snow, ice and flowing creeks:
Kickin' it on the edge! Dad don't look!
View from 9400 Feet Up!
The falls in the valley across from the high point of the park (Lion's Head). You could hear a quiet, but distinct roar. These falls are 100 feet high!
Elk Pond - Gorgeous and Peaceful
Lunch view from 9400 feet. Couldn't move the boot. Too close to the edge to unanchor myself...
Sweet tree colors.
I saw no marmots...maybe that was the weird noise....
A few aspens indicating the shift to the top of treeline.
Now onto this chipmunk. I was eating my lunch, meditating and soaking in the sun and view when I caught a flash out of the corner of my eye. Suddenly a head popped up, down, around a rock and straight to me with the speed of Rikki Tikki Tavi. This chipmunk had clearly figured out the food routine at the peak. After throughly considering all possible zoonotic diseases that he may be carrying, I took a deep breath and continued on with lunch. His persistance was overwhelming so I dropped an oat stick on the rock. He was on it and off like a shot. Thinking that was that, I went back to lunch. Sensing something on my right, the bugger had flanked me. He looked once at me, and into the bag of oat sticks he went. He then had the comfort to take a seat on his haunches and chow down. This guy had nuts (and I'm not talking about acorns, definitely a boy chipmunk). So in short, the chipmunk stole my heart and part of my lunch.
Overall an amazing Sunday morning. I am certain that if I could pack a spare pair of feet, I would never stop walking.














Comments
Post a Comment