Assimilation via Agra

It's happened.  I've caught the India bug bad.  Not the one that American's imagine (it mirrors Montezuma's revenge if you are not picking up what I'm putting down...)  Agra snapped me up.  It reminds me of Bhopal, but it feels completely different.  Same chaos, same wild streak, but the people are making this the deal.  Beyond the people, there are some animal components that are completely off the wall.  Besides the tons of buffalo walking down the middle of the street (not the side, the middle), there are peacocks, parrots, chipmunks and monkeys.  These aren't all little monkeys.  These are monkeys that could put a hurting on you.  Unfortunately, of the 5 monkey sightings, I've only gotten my camera up past my excitement to capture the creepiness once....They have hands and are highly cognizant.  So strange!



Work today was filled with running routes full of buffalo, people, more people, and wait for it....more people.  The streets are bumping, busy and loud.  There are wild dogs everywhere.  Kids, colors, smells and sounds that go beyond explanation.  I saw scary boiler rooms, a backroom where shoe uppers are made, a proud shop owner's home and business and a very interesting version of America/India retail.  I was also a western foreigner on a military base with no identification today.  There is a first for everything apparently.  Shout out to the Indian Air Force.  So on with the post work adventure...

Happiest high voltage sign this side of the Himalayas!

This is where customers take the goods to hit the street!  So neat to see where the rubber hits the road.  (Me and Syed)

Proud guys that make shoe uppers to send to the factory for completion.  

This isn't even chaos! A perspective from the backseat: http://youtu.be/kwZ6Y1u1PzY

We took a break for a very late lunch (I wussed out and had fruit and rice in my room).  So many spices, so little time.  After lunch, I finally hit the yoga experience at the hotel.  This is very common apparently to have free daily yoga for guests.  I was terrified to be solo in a very language limited scenerio, but thankfully a British/Indian couple saved me.  We had a great stretch and centering.  Yoga, in India, done!  I was fortunate that my companion Syed needed to do some shopping.  He picked me up promptly at 1630 and we headed out for some local digs.  We made it to the local market to do some gift hunting for the peeps back home.  Fortunately, we found a shop owned by an former army "uncle" and this cut our prices by 40% immediately.  The best part was when Syed looked at me and said, "I will protect you today.  Enjoy yourself."  And did I ever!  We caught our deals and took a ride around the block in a bicycle rickshaw. (Rickshaw perspective: http://youtu.be/ACX5p76LOSs I was able to interact with store owners, people curious about a westerner in the local part of town and kids of all ages.  We bought bangles (crucial assimilation point #1).  Most of my friends can tell you that glitter, jewels and jangley noises are not my jam.  I love it.  In Syed's words "it is the sound of India."  He also mentioned that all women in India have an abundance of bangles.  We started with three...  Walking in the chaos was such a treat compared to being in a "safe" car all day.  The mopeds wiz around you, honking and living by the inches.  The road is rough, the people are close and the smells to numerous to mention.  

After this, he took me to the mall for henna.  So we squatted on the floor and a young man/boy? very gracefully applied a beautiful pattern of flowers to my sweet biceps (ok, just tried to sneak that in there, but seriously, kidding).  Two power outages later, we had art!  Syed even stepped out of his strong male role for a moment and showed his artistic side with a little addition to the henna project.  

Living life full out.  This will be so fun to explain to grandchildren someday.  I love the contrast between our skin.  Such a cool kid too.

Before....

After....all work location appropriate.  But when this section of trip is over - I'm fully committing!

After this I was returned to the hotel to take a breath and watch the sunset adjacent ot the Taj Majal (this is what we call "light" duty by the way.  Any time you spend the end of a duty day looking at one of the 7 wonders of the world, life is good.  Don't tell the boss...it's freakin' awesome).  I decided to go on my standard postcard hunt and was rewarded with an hour long discussion with a Hindu shopkeeper of my age.  He told me all about the various gods, temples, castes and culture from his background.  We picked out postcards and he suggested a book.  I actually ended up running into him later and got asked if I could go with him Sari shopping in the early morning.  I suspect I will forever regret not having the time (yes, I must remember I'm here for business first, immersion second).  He was delightful and gentle.  I have his phone number and am committed to calling him should I be here again.

India is so rich for a country that we perceive as being so poor.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okie Travelers - Food, Fun and Fish

Buffalo River Journey - Two Fierce Women and a Dog

Glory Hole Hike - Yelling at Frogs and Other Adventures