Walking with Giants
Today was a down day on the road and it was not wasted! The day was marked by my attempt to use Uber for the first time. It worked flawlessly! After a short ride from a total stranger (at no cost because I had a coupon), I landed on the eastern most edge of Huddart County Park in Woodside, CA. I set out on the Crystal Springs Trail and went across the park and back on Richard's Road. It was an 8.2 hike. I was struck again by the redwoods, but had a few more joys in store along the trail on the beautiful 60 degree day (a real prize when it's 35 back home).
Sweet trail map that was altogether just enough complicated to make you nervous. Here's to a compass on the iPhone!
And my favorite new creature of all time:
I find banana slugs very appealing! Pun intended!!!!!!
That begin said, these were my major thoughts of the day:
- When I walk among redwoods, I feel like a blade of grass.
- When stepping off the trail to relieve myself, "Does California have snakes? Should I step in this pile of redwood debris?"
- I think people that cut up their bananas to eat them are strange.
- Horses and riders can be quite startling when you are walking on the trail with your head down.
- The smell of a redwood forest is absolutely intoxicating.
- 16.4 miles isn't the Camino or the Pacific Coast trail, but damn, is it good for the soul. Especially when you finally don't notice how brutalized your feet are from tromping around in running shoes.
- I can't imagine a much better lunch than teriaki beef jerky, sunflower sticks, walnuts, banana, satsuma, water and conversation hearts for dessert. Boom.
- It was nice to just walk for the sake of it. No where to be, but trudging through forest and town because it is safe and something is ticking inside of you, pushing you forward.
LIFE IS GOOD. GET OUTSIDE. NATURE IS CALLING - GO.








Comments
Post a Comment