Cheers to 2014 - Peace, Blessings and Adventures

2014 was a flurry of travel (new job), cementing new friendships and centering.  Being 31, independent and happy -- all came together for a perfect mix.  After a 6 week whirlwind of work travel, schools and a grand vacation, I slowed to consider all the things I'm thankful for.  This list isn't exhaustive, but it's a fine start.
  1. I am thankful that I have a dog that loves me beyond words.  She always wants to be close; is free, wild  and multicolored; and most strikingly, will leave a food bowl full of food if there is a chance of cuddling in bed with her momma.  Unconditional love, every single moment.
  2. I am thankful that I have a diverse group of dear and close friends that I adore.  People that I would rise against heaven and earth for if it was necessary.  People I love so much it scares me. 
  3. I am thankful I live in a country where I'm safe and free.  I can drink water from the faucet.  I can be an outspoken woman.  I can walk down the street at night without much of a care about my safety.  Life is good in America. 
  4. I am thankful that my family will never be so poor as those in Bangladesh, Mexico and India.  This isn't a reflection of our great success, but rather circumstance.  The lowest low in the states is nothing compared to the day to day of Bangladesh.  I'm thankful that we will never even begin to fully fathom their poverty.
  5. I am thankful that I eat to build strength and refuel, not out of a sake of survival. 
  6. I am thankful for the resources to go, do, eat and live however I please.  I do not want for a single thing.
  7. I am thankful that I have grandparents I can still talk to.  Grandparents that tell me that they are proud of me and that it takes a worry off their mind knowing that I'm happy, ok and doing well.  I am thankful for grandparents that provide great role models for character and marriage.
  8. I am thankful for a father that I can depend on.  We may be a small family unit, but we are ultimately fierce and loyal.  We have adventures and we live life. 
  9. I am thankful that I have a half dozen mothers of every stripe and color.  There are fewer greater blessings than those poured out by loving mothers.  I would absolutely not have this any other way.
  10. I am thankful that I have loved and lost.  I wouldn't trade a moment of the hurt to have missed the love and the memories. 
  11. I am thankful that I am free from the trappings, and mostly self-imposed, pressure of religion without a loss of spirituality. 
  12. I am thankful that I have failed and rose, failed and rose.  It makes me human, makes me who I am.  Creating your own fires sometimes is what you need to be refined.  I'm thankful for all the self-induced refinement.
  13. I am thankful that I have had a wild early career that has shown me the tragedy of others, diverse cultures and literally taken me around the world. 
  14. I am thankful that on any given day I can step outside and hear birds, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, wind and take a deep, full breath.
  15. I am thankful that I am ultimately free in spirit, soul and heart from all of it.  I have a choice of where to concentrate energy and I think I'm getting the hang of it.  (Unlikely, but a girl can hope). 
Will all that being said, 2015 is here and the first adventure has been marked in the book.  I had the blessing of an early morning hike on an Arkansas trail I had never been on.  That in itself is a great gift.  We started early, and markedly alone, on the Yellow Rock trail in Devil's Den.  It was cloudly and hinting towards the coming ice/rain storm, but it was perfect.  We saw the First Day Hikers being led by a ranger, a possible Tim Ernst sighting and returned for skillet cornbread, black eye peas (made more deliciously than I ever imagined) and a great movie.  This was all set off by a nap during the movie with a kitty curled up napping on my lap. Fantastic start!!!!!!






HERE'S TO 2015 AND KEEPING THE ADVENTURE MINDSET ALIVE!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okie Travelers - Food, Fun and Fish

Buffalo River Journey - Two Fierce Women and a Dog

Glory Hole Hike - Yelling at Frogs and Other Adventures