2nd Annual Solo Winter Float - Maumee to Buffalo Point

This time last year I was gearing up for a 17 degree high, 7 mile, solo float trip.  There was a lot of trepidation and scrambling.  I'm happy to say that after a year of putting tons of energy into streamlining the process and learning new skills, today was a happy go lucky, crawl out of bed, run to the river. 

The river was at moderate levels on the lower end -- so no dragging!

Here's what's going on on the lower Buffalo:
  • Squirrels are still bickering
  • The bluffs have giant icicles
  •  There is a new squirrel with orange on his belly who is considerably larger than your average gray squirrel (possibly a fox squirrel)
  • 4 Brave turtles were catching sun
  • 6 Eagles up and down the river
  • Water is cold, but so very clear
  • The fish appear to be happy and growing
  • The otters are on vacation...
The best part of the day was my 15 minute lunch that turned into an hour lunch when I fell asleep on the rocks in the sun.  I'm fairly certain I was smothered with otter kisses while I was sleeping, but given the lack of wet footprints, the buzzards were likely the only ones taking notice!


That water color is true!

My sweet lunch / napping spot.
 
The lunch perspective.  Is it any wonder that I dozed off?!


The little doe that startled me.  We were both completely in our own worlds, me adrift and in deep thought, her scratching a serious itch.

Water so clear you could see every pebble.

Check out the ice on Buffalo Point!

Buffalo Point
 
And for those of you that couldn't make it, a brief 20-seconds of moving water.
 
Can't wait for more time with a paddle in my hand, more nights next to rivers of rushing water and more time with people I love on the river!  Cheers for the memories of 2014!  Onward!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okie Travelers - Food, Fun and Fish

Buffalo River Journey - Two Fierce Women and a Dog

Glory Hole Hike - Yelling at Frogs and Other Adventures