Golden Gate Canyon State Park - Mountain Lion Trail

I'm not one for trail review necessarily, but this trail delivered on so many levels, I would be remiss not to give an overview and share some of the images from the day.  All trails at Golden Gate Canyon State Park are named after animals indigenous to the area.  I selected the Mountain Lion trail.  This trail covered 6.7 miles with an additional 0.6 out and back to an old quarry site.  I started counter clockwise with the intent of having lunch on Windy Peak (9,000').  The first part of the trail takes you through rolling meadows, scrub trees and tall grass.  The trail is narrow but criscrossed with service roads, which takes a bit of the ambiance away.  The wildflowers more than made up for it.














 
After the first bridge crossing over Deer Creek, the spur trail for the quarry heads up hill.  I passed an old man coming back from the quarry and he said, "I've never seen someone on this trail my whole life."  This is always a great sign for me as it implies the trail may not be too crowded.  Well, to be straightforward, the quarry was not worth the huff up the hill.  This leads to an interesting point about hiking in Colorado, the trail runners.  As the flatlanders go huffing and puffing in altitude, these fit Colorado folk go charging by, the full picture of health and vibrance.  They are friendly, so I guess I can get on with it.  

Quarry...Not Impressed

Quarry Debris...So Not Impressed
 

Once, I walked back down from the quarry, my favorite portion of the hike began.  This portion followed Deer Creek for a few miles.  There were many creek crossing with wonderfully rustic bridges.  The plant life shifted to tall aspens, more mushrooms (of all varieties), lush plants that were thriving in the edges of the creek and eventually tall bluffs on the right.  It was like a hollow wonderland tucked out in the canyon.  It took me a few hours to go a few miles for looking at all nature had to offer.  



Hot Pink Roots!













I LOVE FUNGI





 

The section required a little more fortitude as it was comprised of the uphill climb to Windy Peak.  I happened upon a woman from earlier in the day that had lost her husband.  After a long talk and consulting the map, we determined his probable location and off she went.  After climbing, and climbing, I finally made it to the top, 9,000 feet!  I shared a lunch with the oodles of black ants on the hillside and then proceeded out to the primary precipice of the peak and just curled up on the edge of a rock outcropping.  The wind ripped and roared with the volume of airplane engines.  Once I found myself alone, a chipmunk decided to come out and about.  I got a full five minutes of watching him eat a seed and give himself a bath.  It was the highlight of the day!  

Lunch of Champions





 

Once I finally peeled myself away, the hike down Windy Peak was much easier going.  The next leg was a series of switchbacks that rapidly took you to the valleys below.  The switchbacks at mountain sidee provided exemplary views of the peaks in the distance and the coming storm.  The wind continued to roar and tear around corners and finally rumbles of thunder.  Getting to flatter ground was welcome as the sky turned dark.  









 
The next blessing was a historic homestead site.  The original home had been restored and remains of a barn and chicken house were still standing.  Set on a picturesque pond, an informational board gave you the full scoop.  It was neat to imagine a family making it's way in such beautiful country.





 

The rest of the hike wasn't much to write home about, but it was all so essentially refreshing, recharging and moving.  I have mentioned the idea of getting your soul repaired and stitched back together.  This was another one of those experiences that set all things right and pure.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okie Travelers - Food, Fun and Fish

Buffalo River Journey - Two Fierce Women and a Dog

Glory Hole Hike - Yelling at Frogs and Other Adventures