Stone County, AR USA

So this is the opening blog and how fitting that I'm at the most local and most favorite adventure location. My heart is at rest here and I find that there isn't a single thing that doesn't suit me.  Well, where am I? Mountain View, AR: Folk Music Capital of the World.  Here's the bulleted recap of the last few days of adventure highlights:

  • Driving over the river (White River) and through the woods to get here. Numerous small towns, with small shops full of local wares and scares.
  • Eating at the hippie run pizza joint (heavy on the joint) with my best friend. 
  • Getting up early, hitting the river with friends. Canoeing, cooking lunch on the riverside, tons of howdies to other fishermen,  and taking photos of oodles of bugs.
  • Getting up early again, hiking 7 mies on the North Sylamore trail.
  • Highlights of the trail: butterflies, dozens upon dozens; possible big cat paw; eating cherries on the riverbank; missing a turn and walking an extra mile uphill; a whole family or two of Amish folks having a picnic at the trailhead.
  • Headed to the Blanchard Spring to cool off the paws. The point at which dirt didn't wash off, I realized that I'd gotten into seed ticks. Likely when the spider was dangling off my hat and I threw it in the woods (along with my sunglasses).  I'm sure the pile of leaves I stepped in was little seed tick heaven. 
  • After a thorough removal process, headed to the only Mexican restaurant for miles.
  • Ran into a group of bikers that were taking up 5 of the 6 motel suites where I was staying who wanted to make sure I knew they were a nice bunch who would be in bed by 8pm.  Quality guys.
  • Went to the Ozark Folk Center and saw the nightly music show!  Loved every second of old world culture.  Who's up for the Folk Dance Weekend?!?
  • Went to the square (the only town where seniors are out until midnight watching live music) and saw some awesome musicians jamming.
  • Woke up, got a massage, hit the Amish grocery, did a bit of antiquing and hit the road!
Very low key adventuring, but my favorite local place.







Comments

  1. One of my favorite places too. Dencil and I met at the swimming hole there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that story Cheryl! He's lucky that warmed your heart more than it made you mad. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Okie Travelers - Food, Fun and Fish

Buffalo River Journey - Two Fierce Women and a Dog

Glory Hole Hike - Yelling at Frogs and Other Adventures